* Lasagna Rolls
By Lindsay Lundquist: fromlouskitchenwithlove
*NOTE* I use the recipe to make regular lasagna. I just layer it like lasagna instead. I sometimes double the ricotta cheese when doing this.
INGREDIENTS FOR LASAGNA:
1 (15 oz) container of whole milk Ricotta Cheese
1 (7 oz) bag of fresh cooked spinach ( you can used frozen but does not taste as good)
1/2 can of artichoke ( you can you frozen 3 oz)
1/4 cup of pine nuts (optional)
1 cup fresh parmesan cheese
1 Large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 tsp salt, plus more for pasta water
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
14-16 dried lasagna noodles
1 cup of shredded mozzarella or four italian cheese blend
1 cup Alfredo Sauce
3 cups (24oz) of marinara sauce ( I love Prego or homemade)( I also use trader joes organic marinara and add 2 Tb of brown sugar)
INGREDIENTS FOR ALFREDO SAUCE:
3/4 cup cream
1 T butter
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
dash of nutmeg or garlic powder
TO MAKE Alfredo SAUCE:
Melt butter in a pan, add the cream; let simmer. Then add the parmesan cheese, pepper and garlic or nutmeg. Bring to a
boil, then remove from heat.
TO MAKE THE LASAGNA:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour the alfredo sauce into a 13 x 9 glass baking dish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook until just tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently to prevent noodles from sticking together. Drain. Arrange noodle on baking sheet so they don't stick together.
In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, spinach, artichoke hearts, pine nuts, 1 cup of parmesan cheese, egg, 3/4 tsp salt and pepper until blended.
Lay out noodle, spread about 3 or 4 Tbls of the ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle.
Roll the noodles up (like a pinwheel), seam side down, on top of the alfredo sauce. ( Sometimes I just layer it like a normal lasagna because I don't feel like rolling pinwheels!)
Generously spoon the marinara sauce over each roll, then sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining 2 Tbls of parmesan cheese.
Cover the dish with tin foil- bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the top is golden brown- about 15 minutes longer.
Let stand for AT LEAST 10 minutes.
(If you serve too soon it tends to get too watery).



Comments