***Pear and Gorgonzola Salad***
1 shallot, quartered
1 small clove garlic
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1/2 cup champagne vinegar
1 1/2 cups canola oil ( I use extra light olive oil)
Toasted Pecans:
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup pecan pieces
Salad:
1 package spring mix ( I use bag of romaine and half bag spinach)
2-3 ripe pears, cored and cut into bite size slices
5 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese
shredded chicken (optional)
Directions:
To make the vinaigrette, in a blender with a fitted blade, process the shallot and garlic until finely minced. Add the mustard, sugar, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Process to combine ingredients thoroughly. With the machine running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream to form an emulsion. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary ( any leftover dressing will keep for a week or two).
In a skillet over medium heat, stir 1/4 cup of sugar together with pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans (2-4 minutes). Carefully transfer nuts onto waxed paper. Allow to cool, and break into pieces.
In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce pears, gorgonzola cheese. Pour dressing over salad ( slow add and dress to taste). Sprinkle with pecan and serve.
NOTE If you like it spicy add more shallot. I use half of a shallot, and if it is a huge shallot I use a quarter. Then I taste it and then add more shallot if needed but this ingredient can make or break your dressing. Start small!
NOTE If you like it spicy add more shallot. I use half of a shallot, and if it is a huge shallot I use a quarter. Then I taste it and then add more shallot if needed but this ingredient can make or break your dressing. Start small!



Comments